Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Students Earn President's Volunteer Service Award

Topeka High students Kelsey Cott, left, and Marissa Fillyaw


Topeka High students Kelsey Cott and Marissa Fillyaw recently were awarded the President's Volunteer Service Award. The two won the award for their hundreds of hours of volunteer service that they have done during their high school careers. 
Cott volunteered more than 500 hours with Special Olympics, at Williams and Scott Elementary schools, church camps, coaching activities and assisted various other school groups. Fillyaw worked more than 200 hours at the YMCA volleyball camp, United Way Christmas project, The Bridge as a student educator, Festival of Trees and with elementary schools. 
"I never planned on using volunteer hours for an award because it came naturally to me," Fillyaw said. "To receive the President's Award makes me really realize that my contributions made a difference in my community and it's really a heart warming feeling." 
Cott agreed. "I wouldn't trade what I've done and the time I've spent at all of these activities over the years. I love volunteering and I truly believe that this award is special not only for those I've helped but for all of those acts that helped me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment